Sunday, June 1, 2014

Joy



I love the Book of Mormon.  It is quirky.  There are weird names and trying to understand the geography can give you a headache.  The book mentions horses when the geological record shows no horses in America until the Spanish monks and Conquistadors brought them. 
Nevertheless, I love this book.  My second son explained it in a way I can remember, “It is just good.” 
How would my life be different if I didn’t believe this book contained truth? 
There is one Book of Mormon scripture I could not live without. 
I cannot live without joy. 
I cannot live without the understanding that joy is important, vital, one of the very reasons for our existence. 
Sorrow is important too.  Another favorite scripture (this time from the Old Testament) is Psalms 30:5  “Weeping may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning.” 
One morning during one of the most despairing periods of my life I opened my front door to see frothy pink blossoms spilling all over the crab apple tree.  A feeling of peace came over me and a presence I have come to call the Holy Ghost whispered to me, “You are loved.  This is for you.”  


There are many things that can and will be said about joy and how to obtain it.  But I've said all I need to for now.  
Joy. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment